Welcome to ophthalmology
Our success depends on the quality of the clinical care we provide our patients, training outstanding future ophthalmologists & scientists, and developing new knowledge & innovative therapies for vision threatening diseases.
When the College of Medicine at the University of Florida was established in 1956, a Division of Ophthalmology was created. This Division was headed by Dr. Ernest Casey, a well-regarded Gainesville ophthalmologist. By 1962, the Eye Clinic had grown to 5 rooms and there were already 3 residents, one at each level. Dr. Herbert Kaufman, from the Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, was appointed Associate Professor and Director of the Division. Over the next several years, under Dr. Kaufman’s able stewardship, the Division expanded, particularly after the Veterans Administration Hospital was built across the road and its service of Ophthalmology was integrated with that of the College of Medicine. Ophthalmology became a separate department in 1965, when it became the first surgical division to gain its independence from the Department of Surgery. After a nationwide search, Dr. Kaufman was appointed the first Chairman of the Department. Two years later, in 1967, major expansions of the clinical facilities were begun.